Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Don't Put all your eggs in one basket!


Though these eggs are not in a basket, they are lovely, are they not?  Fresh eggs are the best!  These were given to m by my friend, Diane, who has chickens among other animals on her mini-farm in the city.  They were just too pretty not to photograph before using!

Actually putting all my eggs in one basket has never been a problem for me.  I’m usually spread all around the place with a finger in this and another in that.  It makes for a sort of schizophrenic hectic life, but at least it is rarely dull and I am NEVER bored!

Recently I was asked to be on the board of directors for the National Quilting Association, Inc. and I gladly accepted.  This is a very worthwhile organization which is not for profit and run completely by volunteers except for a small office staff to take care of the day to day things.  You can learn more about NQA by going to the NQA web site http://www.nqaquilts.org/   The NQA member magazine, The Quilting Quarterly is as fine a magazine as you will find and is a benefit of membership.

In honor of the Easter basket, I thought you might like to see this small basket quilt.  It was made using fabric from a 6” square fabric exchange.  There are two baskets made from each 6” square plus a neutral background fabric.  Just the basket portions used the exchange square.  It was a fun project and one I’ve taught at guilds who wanted to do a little challenge.



While I think basket quilts are charming, I’ve only made two of them.  The other one is quite different using bright fabrics.  When I have time, I will photograph it as there are no digital images of it on my computer.  There are a couple of weeks before Easter, so I will have time to show this one to you as well.

Have you made any basket quilts?  If so, I’d love to see them

Do you tend to stay focused on one thing or are you like me and “flit” from one thing to another?  Inquiring minds want to know! Do you like the new look of  my blog?

Keep stitching,
Lois

7 comments:

Lorinda said...

I do like the quilty header. Makes me think I should do something different with mine. I'm looking out my window at robins. Your bowl of eggs got me thinking of pretty blue bird's eggs. I've made basket blocks here and there but I don't think I have a single basket quilt. Maybe it is time to start one. I am trying to come up with idea for Hoffman challenge. A basket might just work.

Joyce said...

I also like your new header. Is it one of the quilts you made? I really like your font size - I don't even need my glasses! How big are your basket blocks? If you got 2 baskets out of each 6" square they couldn't be very big. Congratulations on your new NQA position!!!

Lois Arnold said...

Thank you for the comments on the quilty header. Joyce, it is the ocean waves quilt I made from the fat eighths exchange we had in NT. The blocks on the basket quilt are 3-3/4" square. It took creative cutting to get 2 blocks out of each 6" square. Lorinda, a bowl or nest of blue robin's eggs would be beautiful! It seems like we took a woven basket class together.

Lorinda said...

Lois, We did and I made something that looked more like an urn than a basket on a vest. Fun class especially since I knew Fons and Porter really didn't like what I was doing and didn't think it would work. It did and they later complimented me on the vest.

JoQuilter said...

I remember buying a basket book from Fons & Porter years ago and I love basket quilts. But even after 28 years as a quilter I have never made a basket quilt. Maybe I should put that on my "before I die" list.

*karendianne. said...

What a sweet basket quilt. The quilting is charming!

julieQ said...

Such a pretty basket quilt! I have completed two basket quilts...one for my son's wedding, and one small one, like yours, kind of!! I love baskets!