Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

Ginger Cookies

This ginger cookie recipe is one I got from Gary's grandmother, Lena Hilgendorf Arnold, when we were first married. It is a family favorite.  I don't make them often enough!  Since this came from Gary's grandmother and I have it in her own handwriting, it is one of those where the ingredients are simple, but the flour amount is "enough to make a soft dough".  This is the way my mother cooked, too, and I never quite get the exact same results, unfortunately.  But, no matter because the cookies are still good even if they aren't identical to Great-Grandma's.  My mother-in-law used the same recipe and hers were different, too.  It's all in the interpretation of the "enough flour to make a soft dough", I think.

Here is what you do.

Start with 1 cup shortening (I use either butter or margarine)


Beat to soften.


Add 1-1/2 cups sugar and cream together.



Add 2 eggs, preferably without the shells.



Add 1 cup molasses, mix and then add 1/2 cup water and mix again..


Add 1 teaspoon ginger, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon nutmeg.


You do not have to grate your own nutmeg, but I do -- it's so aromatic!


Mix well and add flour one cup at a time.


Mix in enough to make a soft dough -- at least 4-1/2 cups, but I use more, 6 cups or so.


The dough is easier to handle if you refrigerate it for several hours or overnight at this point.  When it's ready to handle, use an small scoop to get equal amounts of dough.  If you don't have  one of these, run out and get one right now! They make the job easier and the cookies are a uniform size for baking, You can find these in any cooking store. I would tell you where I got mine, but I forgot, I just know it was a cooking store.


Roll in granulated sugar. Apparently I forgot to upload this photo!, They look like this on the cookie sheet.


Flatten the balls with a glass dipped in sugar.


Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  Be sure to enjoy a couple while they are still warm.  Yum!

Enjoy!

GINGER COOKIE RECIPE

1 C. shortening, butter or margarine
1-1/2 C. granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 C molasses
1/2 C. water
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon soda
Flour enough for a soft dough.  Start with 4-1/2 C and add until it feels right.
Refrigerate dough for several hours or overnight.
Roll balls in granulated sugar and place on cookie sheet
Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar
Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes

These are a softer gingerbread type cookie rather than a crisp gingersnap type cookie.

Bake some of these soon.  Your house will smell amazing.  You must bake these at Christmas time!

Happy baking,
Lois

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love! I will be baking these this year! :)