Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

Welcome 2011!

It's not that everything was bad about 2010, but I'm really ready for a new year.  Remember the feeling you got on the first day of school when you had brand new crayons and brand new notebooks?  The new year feels like that.  It hasn't been written on yet.  Well, okay, this is January 3, so a couple of days have been written on, but that's okay.  We started the year with 1/1/11 so it just seems that this will be a really good year.

This quilt was made from doodles that I had done in my sketchbook.  We lived in Alabama at the time and these doodles reminded me of the symbol the TV stations used when we were on hurricane watch.  One of the things I had not been aware of before we lived in an area that was in the path of hurricanes a couple of times while we lived there was the spin-off tornadoes.  Now tornadoes I was familiar with having grown up in the Midwest!  The difference with the hurricanes was that the hurricane could be tracked with radar.  Tornadoes on the other hand give little warning.


The name I gave this quilt is "Eye of the Storm".  That's what 2010 felt like to me -- being in the eye of the storm with a lot going on.  Some of the stuff was good, like the birth of our first great-granddaughter, Summer.  Some of it was bad, foot surgery that didn't heal quite as planned and the death of Gary's mother.

The quilt I just finished is called "Blue Skies and Sunshine".  I can't show it to you yet as it will be in a magazine later in the year.  It was finished in 2010 and all I could think of while working on it was blue skies and sunshine like we have here in Arizona most of the time.  Today it's a chilly blue skies and sunshine day, but who can complain?  We don't have rain or snow to contend with like most of the country does right now.

I'm looking forward to a year of mostly good.  We have to have some bad in order to appreciate the good, though.  I wish for you a wonderful new year with plenty of good things in your life.

Blessings to you all,
Lois

2 comments:

Lorinda said...

I'm with you -- ready for a New Year. Last year was such a transition year for us in so many ways with or leaving Mexico and Mom dying. I haven't started a new project for the new year yet but I sure have been dreaming about it!

Country Girl in the City said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog. It's nice to "meet" you. You have some beautiful quilts, my favorite is the Whig Rose. I'd love to do some more quilting, but with three little ones and another on the way, quilting is not going to happen. I do have one queen size that I finished a few years ago, which I have to admit, I'm really proud of!