Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Got Scraps Top

Finally I have the Got Scraps quilt top finished and have started working on a pieced back for it.  Last week I had a doctor's appointment set for Wednesday, but HE cancelled as he was sick.  Doesn't he know that doctors aren't allowed to be sick?  Since I had stayed home from work for the appointment I had a little more time than usual to work in my studio.  I decided what I wanted to do with the border on Got Scraps and then I finished quilting the table runner that I promised I'd make for Gary's cousin.  The table runner will be the topic of the next blog post.  I haven't had a chance to photograph it yet, but, Sheila, you are going to like it!  Your fabric choices were great!  (Sorry, had to tease her since she hasn't seen it yet.)

I had been in a quandary when I finished the inside part of Got Scraps which is for our son Jeff.  It wasn't quite as big as I thought it should be, but to add another row of blocks each direction was going to make it a bit too long, I thought.  I finally decided on an inner border of electric blue and an outer border of a black fabric with polka dots.  Here is the result.


I think the electric blue is just what the quilt needed.  I'm sure I would not have been happy with the quilt without the border.  It seemed to need one.  What do you think?  My quilts have always talked to me and this one just kept telling me it needed something to stop the design and frame the blocks.  Usually my borders are pieced and more "creative", but this plain Jane border works in this case.

Wait until you see what the back will look like!  I've been digging through the blacks and piecing more of the 4-patches into strips and blocks to use on the back.  No point in having a plain Jane back even though I did find a fabric that there was enough of for a plain back.  My friend, Joyce, NEVER uses plain fabric on the backs of her quilts and the backs could be quilt fronts.  It's also a great way to use up those fabrics that you wonder why you bought.

That's it for now.  Next time I'll share Sheila's table runner before mailing it off to her.  After that maybe the back for Jeff's quilt will be done and I can share that with you.  Stay tuned 'cause rumor has it there will be an extra day this weekend.  Woo Hoo!

Until next time,
Lois

No comments: