Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Christmas Past and Preparations

Hi friends!

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!  We had three tables full of people with overflow sitting on the sofa and chairs in the family room.  I love it when the house is full of family having fun together! The cousins can't wait to play with each other as they don't see each other too often.  Of course, the older of our grandchildren don't so much play as talk.  And talk.   And talk!  Granddaughter, K3, also celebrated her birthday (which was actually Friday) turning 13, so in addition to the traditional Thanksgiving pies, we had a birthday cake.

Now we turn our attention to Christmas.  I absolutely LOVE everything about Christmas.  I love the sounds, the smells (cinnamon and pine being my favorites), the tastes, and the sights of Christmas.  And most of all, I love celebrating the birthday of the baby who grew up to be our Savior!

So far we have the tree up, but not decorated.  Here is a view of what it looked like last year.  Hmmm, maybe that was the year before last!  It will have additional ornaments this year.


I'll do close up views this year when the tree is decorated so you can see some of the ornaments better.

The foyer area also gets a different look for December.  These are pillows I've made over the years.  Sometimes I put a Christmas quilt out there, too.  I haven't decided about this year yet.


I think my favorite is the Christmas version of the honey bee traditional patchwork pattern.  That is the one with the holly leaves in the four corners. I think I might make more of those this year if I can find some time.

Another favorite area is the Santa collection that in this house "lives" in the loft.  That's where all the grand kids hang out when they are here.  Some of the Santas are hand made, but many have just been gifts or purchased.  These used to always be on the mantel, but we have no fireplace in this house.


Normally this area has photos of all the grand kids continuing the family theme of the wall above it.  The two frames in the back are of green pine tree quilt and red school house quilt that were purchased as greeting cards.  They are embossed and lovely little miniature paper quilts.

Today I have a bone density test scheduled so did not go in to work.  After the test my plan is to do a little shopping and then spend the rest of the day decorating.  It takes more than one day for me to get all the things out and in place.  Can't wait to get the Christmas quilts out -- they just "cozy" the place up!

It's the most wonderful time of the year -- savor the season!

Until next time,
Lois





1 comment:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Lovely home and wonderful decorating inspiration... thanks for sharing!