Pages

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Sheet Music Cone Wreath 2011

Hello wonderful friends!  Do you feel it?  Christmas is in the air!!

Every where you turn you see Christmas!  I know, I know it's been in the stores since BEFORE Halloween, but now it is in our homes, too!

I'm very excited about the new decorations I made this year.  I learned a lot and will do some things differently if I repeat any of these, but mostly I'm pleased.

I promised to show you the wreath next, so here it is! (This is not where it will stay, it just needed to be photographed here for the light source.)


Here is how I did the wreath, but I didn't take photos that day.  I was actually home sick and decided to try to accomplish at least one thing, but taking photos was too much!

1.  Cut a circle out of chipboard with another circle cut in the middle -- like a donut.

2.  Roll sheet music into a cone shape and fasten with hot glue. (I used an old piano book that I had and no longer use.)

3.  Starting a 12, 6, 3, and 9 -- on a clock face, begin attaching the cones with the pointed side toward the middle.  The size of your wreath will depend on two things -- the size of the music (or book page) you use and how closely you put the points to the center.  If I'd known I was going to cover up the center, I might have put the points closer together.  This wreath is HUGE!

4.  Fill in between the first four cones to fill out the first layer.  Then add as many layers as you want on top of those using the same method.

5.  For the center, I used a paper doily with the words Joyeux Noel.  The words were printed on photocopied sheet music using MS Word Word Art.  If When I do another one, I will use a bolder font.  The scrolly one is hard to see from a distance.

Here is a closer look at the center.




Now you can actually read it!  One side of the wreath isn't as symmetrical as it could be, but once the glue is dry, you just can't change it!  That is the second thing I'd do differently.  On the other hand, if it was perfect, it would be hard to tell it was hand made, right?

It would be fun to do wreaths using the pages of books in different sizes.  It might look quite elegant using paper doilies, but that would be a lot more expensive than using an old piano study book! LOL  Any way, I like the look of the wreath.  It will not stay where it was for the photography.  I haven't quite decided if it will be in the foyer or the Master bedroom.  Maybe I do need to make another one!

What kinds of wreaths do you use?  Do you use real greenery or artificial?  I use mostly artificial, but I miss the smell of the real thing.  However, with artificial, I can decorate earlier and enjoy it longer!

Next time, I think we'll either talk angels or have a stocking show.

Until then, enjoy the season!

Lois

No comments: