Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

On my soap box

Several years ago I had the pleasure of spending a few days at the historic Hotel Pere Marquette in Peoria, IL.  I was not unfamiliar with the hotel as I had grown up not far away, but had never stayed there.  Staying at this landmark gave me the opportunity to see things from a different perspective.


Normally when staying at a hotel, I ignore the soap provided except for washing my hands.  I take my own body wash, so mostly the hotel soap goes unused and is left behind.  However, the soap at the Pere Marquette came in a beautiful box with the Pere Marquette Logo on it.  Since I was not using it, I did bring one bar home with me and have had it displayed in either the master bath or in the dressing area.  The box itself is white and the lettering and logo are in cobalt blue.  You know my weakness for cobalt blue!


Sadly, the box was beginning to look a little worse for wear -- water does that to packaging!  So, I decided to duplicate the box.

Then, it occurred to me that it didn't really need to say Pere Marquette and have their logo, it could say anything I wanted it to.  First I designed what I wanted the face of the box to say. The words I decided would be appropriate were La Maison de Campagne d'Arnold* which means The Arnold's Country Home. The crown is from The Graphics Fairy, the best "go to" for graphics.  The lines are standard in MS Word so for this project no fancy drawing program is needed.  I may do a "create a box" tutorial later -- that part is a bit trickier to make sure it scored correctly, and the measurements and placement correct.

* Oops, pardon my French! A sweet reader corrected my phrase as originally written so I've updated it to the correct words.. My future projects will be correct, alas, the ones I have now are improper French!


This first box is the same size as the PM box, but future boxes or perhaps just wraps will be the size of the soap I put in them.  Don't you think that's a great welcome for guests to have something other than a commercial box or package of soap -- even if the soap inside is commercially made.


I'm thinking I might have to learn to make soap.


Then it occurred to me that a matching candle would be a nice addition.


Just a few keystrokes and vanilla replaced the almond - oatmeal, move the location so two could fit on the page of parchment paper and then there were two candle wraps.  A little double sided tape and voila!  A matched set.


Of course, I printed out a few more of the boxes as well so I could replace this one when it needs it and to fill with soap ready for the next guest.

Hope you didn't mind me getting on my soap box today.  With all the political stuff going on, isn't it nice to just focus on making something pretty to enjoy?

Have a wonderful weekend!

xoxoXOXOxoxo

Lois

I am joining these parties:
The Farmhouse Porch Cowgirl Up Party
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage

6 comments:

Connie said...

I love what you did here. You are quite a creative lady. I found you from Creative Carmelina, I have been following her blog for quite a while.
Please accept my invitation to visit and hopefully to follow me back. Your newest follower, Connie :)

Connie said...

Thanks for your sweet visit. I am delighted that you liked my pennies for dollars bedroom. Have a great week, and I hope to see you again. Connie :)

sweet violets said...

Now that is very clever!!! Why didn't I think of that??? Am going to copy your idea and do some of these for holiday gifts....and how about hostess gifts...with their name on the soap wrapper.....OMG...the ideas are endless!!! Thank you!!!

kominsa said...

It is very clever and very pretty too. Just one thing, it should read "La Maison de Campagne d'Arnold" to be absolutely correct. Compagne means "Companion" and you're missing the "de" between maison and campagne :)

Lois Arnold said...

Thank you, Kominsa, you are absolutely correct. I know better on the campagne - no excuse for typing that wrong. I did miss putting the de campagne. Oh, I hate making mistakes and in such a public way! I am correcting my file so future boxes, etc. will be correct! As I said, my high school French is really rusty!

Kathy said...

Gorgeous idea! I like collecting soaps from places I've been - making them your own is inspired! I am about to make labels for my homemade soap - they're within days of being ready! beautiful and inspired use of graphics! I appreciate you sharing with A Return to Loveliness,
Kathy