Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Grain Sack Computer Bag

Happy Sunday, friends!  Hope you are keeping cool!  We are experiencing HOT weather -- the AC is working overtime, I think!  It's supposed to cool down -- right --  into the 90's for a couple of days this week.

Last post I showed you the laptop sleeve I made for my computer.  Unfortunately, though I have a lot of totes that hold the computer without the sleeve, for traveling I feel I need the added cushion and none of the bags were big enough to hold the laptop in the sleeve.

That gave me an opportunity to come up with a totally unique bag.  It also made me think about what I wanted/needed in a bag.  First I wanted one that could hold the computer plus the things I need to go with it.  I also wanted to have it hold the necessary things from my purse so I wouldn't need to carry two things in the airport.  It needed to have room for my pencil box packing kits (I'll show you those in another post), my Kindle and maybe a magazine as well as a bottle of water, once I get through security, that is! 

I looked at the office supply at bags to hold the 17" laptop and they were expensive.  I checked out what kinds of pockets the messenger bag type carrier had and came home with my mind running overtime!

Here is the result.


The graphic is from The Graphics Fairy. Karen has such wonderful things!  Once again, it was transferred using transfer paper.  The fabric is a Home Depot drop cloth that I painted navy stripes on to look like a vintage French grain sack.  Actually, it was only going to have 3 stripes, but I got distracted when I was taping and the stripes were in the wrong order, so I had to add more to fix it.  It was a happy mistake!  I think this is better than what I had planned.  A couple of places I did not get the tape pressed down hard enough, though, and a little paint leaked under. The sides and bottom are a ticking stripe in navy.


Here is a view of the back.


The inside looks like Ralph Lauren, don't you think?  Here is the zippered pocket.


I was really short on this striped fabric.  Those lines?  They are flaws in the fabric, but there wasn't enough for pockets unless I used the flaws.  There is a pocket for my phone, one for business cards and a couple for pens.


On the side is a pocket for a water bottle.  The bag is 4" deep so there is plenty of room for "stuff" in addition to the computer.


The back pockets are sized to hold magazines and my Kindle.  The airline documents will fit there, too -- nice and handy.


So, there you have it.  A custom designed French Grain Sack Computer Bag.

I'll be test driving it on Tuesday when I head to the National Quilting Association's annual quilt show in Columbus, Ohio.  I'll let you know how it works.

I thought about doing a tutorial, but it takes at least twice as long to make something is you stop and take photos of each step, so next time I make a bag -- and there will be a next time -- I'll share the steps.

If you are in Columbus next week at the show, look me up!  I'll be greeting buses, aiding in a class one morning, at the registration desk part of the time and in the NQA sales booth after the preview party.  I'll also be at the Preview Party, the Thursday Night Gathering, the Little Quilt Auction and dinner and running between all those places and the hotel!  Hope to see you there!

xoxoXOXOxoxo
Lois


Joining Feathered Nest Friday on French Country Cottage



3 comments:

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh, my goodness, Lois! It's fabulous! Your work is perfection...down to the last detail! You are one talented lady!...hugs...Debbie

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

What a darling creation!! It's amazing-well done! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

Botanic Bleu said...

Lois, this computer bag is great! You make it look so easy to do. I really like the navy ticking inside and around the bag. The pocket is such a good idea. I'm always trying to find a place to put my boarding pass that is easy to get to.

I just discovered your blog last week, so I'm catching up on some of your older posts.