Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

Sew Day Duet

What a week it has been.  I didn't get home until Monday afternoon from being in Tucson that I told you about last post.  Tuesday I did a little catch up and since Wednesday I've had 3 extra people in my house -- two grandchildren and their dad (our son).  There's been a lot of cooking and picking up after which leaves very little time for sewing or blogging!

The week before on Tuesday, Diane and I had a sew day.  Usually it's a trio, but this time it was a duet, just the two of us as Joyce will spend most of the summer at her cottage in the cooler parts of Arizona!

Diane was working on one of her "trailer" quilts -- so named as they are for their little camping trailer.  As you know camping trailers are lacking in space and big on multi-use spaces and almost NO storage!  New quilts to fit the space were necessary, right?


This has been Diane's "sew day" project the past couple of times we've sewn together.


It's a little hard to see, but she was adding sashing strips.


There were a few more in her container.  She has actually now made three quilts using this pattern and fast piecing method, but all were joined with different types of sash strips - one with black which was gorgeous, one with double sash strips and this one with single sash strips that are twice as wide as the double sash strips on the previous quilt top.

I had no projects at the stage I wanted to take along, so, of course, I started a new one!


I have been wanting a different quilt for what will be my office some day when I don't have grandchildren sleeping there!  And I have quite a stash of 1-1/2" strips.  As I want this to be more or less pastel, I grabbed only the lighter strips to take.  I cut 2-1/2" yellow fabrics for the centers.  I like the jagged edge these give to a log cabin.


First strips ready for pressing with my little Clover ironing tool.


Lots of yummy yellow!


Here's a chain with round 4 attached.


This is the muslin protector strip I use when I press each round.


The muslin protects my ironing board cover from all the spray starch I use.


After pressing, it's squaring time.  See those little jagged edges?  They have to come off to keep the blocks absolutely square from round to round.  I do this after all 4 sides have been added each time.


The fifth strip has been added in a chain and ready to be pressed.  Actually at this writing they are pressed and ready for the sixth strip, but I didn't take a photo of the stack of blocks.

It would be nice to have a lot more, but I'm not a quilt in a day kind of girl anyway.  I like having more than one project going at a time.  Is that weird?  I think maybe I have Quilter's ADD and need to have a new project going all the time to keep from getting bored or antsy.  I'm a bit suspicious of those quilters who can work on only one project start to finish, aren't you?  It just doesn't seem natural to do every last stitch before starting something new.

Hope you are having a fantastic Friday!

xoxoXOXOxoxo,
Lois








No comments: